Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Angelina

 
 
Angelina Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, February 5, 2010
1. Angelina Marker
Inscription.  In 1690, when Spain's Franciscan Fathers founded Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in East Texas, they found a young Indian girl living with her people beside a stream. The priests found her a willing ally for carrying the Catholic Faith to the Indians and named her "Angelina (the Little Angel)," and the stream "the Angelina River."

Angelina accompanied the priests to Mexico for further studies, but eventually returned to East Texas to keep Christianity alive among the Indians. She also befriended early French explorers.

Angelina died in the early 1700s. Her grave site is unknown. In 1846, when Angelina County was formed, it was named for the Indian maiden and the Angelina River.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative AmericansWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1690.
 
Location. 31° 20.615′ N, 94° 43.559′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of North Second Street and Howe Avenue on North Second Street. Located at the front entrance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to the Pitzner Garrison Civic Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 N Second Street, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mantooth Farm (approx. ¼ mile away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. ¼ mile away); Kerr's Inc. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calder (Cotton) Square (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
 
Angelina Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, February 5, 2010
2. Angelina Statue
West and South facing views
Angelina Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, February 5, 2010
3. Angelina Statue
West side view
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,060 times since then and 157 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27249

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2024