Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

 
 
Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
1. Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Marker
Inscription.  A Spanish outpost founded in 1716 by the pioneer Franciscan Antonio Margil de Jesús as a means of civilizing the Nacogdoche Indians. Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719. Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in 1721. Abandoned permanently in 1773. Its deserted buildings formed a nucleus for the settlement of Nacogdoches in 1779 by Antonio Gil y Barbo.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9286.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1716.
 
Location. 31° 36.585′ N, 94° 39.249′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is at the intersection of North Street and Muller Street, on the left when traveling north on North Street. In front of Auto Zone. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 707 North Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Westminster Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Site of the home of Charles S. Taylor (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of Nacogdoches (approx. 0.2 miles away); Private First Class Oscar P. Austin (approx. ¼ mile away); In Memory and Honor SPC Travis Wayne Buford (approx. ¼ mile away); Lest We Forget (approx. ¼ mile away); Prisoners of War/Missing in Action (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, March 24, 2010
2. Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Marker
Once a Mission, now an Auto-Zone--history marches on. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, March 14, 2010
3. Once a Mission, now an Auto-Zone--history marches on.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,696 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   3. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29275

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024