Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center

 
 
The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, April 14, 2010
1. The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker
Inscription.  The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Popularly known as the Rock Church, this beautiful chapel of Gothic architectural design was constructed by native limestone and was dedicated as the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church on August 10, 1941. A significant financial contribution toward the construction of the church was made by Mrs. Ethel V. Mars and her daughter Mrs. Allan Feeney. The donation was made in memory of Mr. Frank Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Company and owner of Milky Way Farms.

The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church was located at 416 South First Street and was the center of worship for the Catholic congregation until July 10, 1984 when the building was sold to the adjacent First Baptist Church. The building was renamed Mars Chapel and was used by the First Baptist Church as a wedding chapel and youth activity center.

In 2002 the congregation of First Baptist Church donated the building to the Trail of Tears Memorial Committee with the stipulation that the building be relocated. The Trail of Tears Association then announced plans to utilize the rock church building as a Trail of Tears Interpretive
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Center and dedicate it to the Native Americans moved from their land by the Indian Removal Act of 1830. Community activists raised the necessary funds for relocating the building and on October 31, 2002 the entire 300 ton structure was placed on a 122-wheel trailer and moved three blocks to its present location.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsMan-Made FeaturesNative AmericansNotable Events. In addition, it is included in the Trail of Tears series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 10, 1863.
 
Location. 35° 11.739′ N, 87° 1.796′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is on Stadium Street near East College Street. Near Elkton Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 Stadium Street, Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Benge Route (a few steps from this marker); The Bell Route (a few steps from this marker); Giles County Trail of Tears Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Nunahi-Duna-Dlo-Hily-I (within shouting distance of this marker); Trail of Tears (within shouting distance of this marker); Giles County Courthouses (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct
The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, April 14, 2010
2. The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker
line); Count Casimir Pulaski (1747-1779) (about 400 feet away); Native Americans in Giles County (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,285 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29810

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024