Normanskill in Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Normanskill Farm
In 1630, an early settler called "the Norman", leased the water privileges of what was then called by the native Americans, "Ta-wal-sen-tha". The "Val of Tawasentha", in Longfellow's poem Hiawatha, is the Normanskill Valley. The Norman erected a mill farther east from here, towards the Hudson. Thereafter, Dutch settlers referred to the stream as the Norman's Kill.
Prehistoric native American encampments have been identified along the Normanskill in this immediate vicinity. The ruins just beyond the parking lot kiosk, along the trail, are from a saw mill and ice house, both of which date from 1800's. The site has been farmed at least since the 1800's. The farm came to be known as the Normans Kill Dairy Farm about 1900. It was part of C.P. Stevens larger dairy business that included a skimming station in Westerlo and a bottling plant in Albany. The Normans Kill Dairy delivered milk in horse drawn carts in Albany until 1955. The bottling plant in Albany was displaced by the Empire State Plaza, and the last milk cows where sold off in 1970. The Farm remained in the ownership of the Stevens Family until the late 1970's. The Farm was acquired by the City of Albany in 1980 for open space preservation and recreation purposes. The property is still active as a farm under a lease agreement with a cattle farmer. The City of Albany Police Department horses are also housed in the main livestock barn. The APD Mounted Unit maintains an office on site. The main farm house is occupied by a Farm manager. Many of the Normanskill Farm out buildings remain, including the blacksmith shop, pig barn, poultry sheds, main hay barn, main livestock barn, and several others.
Enjoy your visit!
Erected by City of Albany Department of General Services.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Indigenous Peoples and Communities • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1630.
Location. 42° 38.096′ N, 73° 48.006′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. It is in Normanskill. It is on Mill Road just west of Normanside Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany NY 12209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Upstate New York and in the Capital District. It is also in the American Northeast and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Netherland and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: First Plastic (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hook & Ladder #4 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Connecting People With Communities (approx. 1.2 miles away); Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail (approx. 1.2 miles away); Town of Bethlehem Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); A History of the Albany County Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Leonard Farm Site (approx. 1.8 miles away); Delmar Post Office (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
More about this marker. Located in the parking area for The Normanside Farm, which is down below Delaware Ave in the Normanskill valley area. Access is via Normanside Drive.
Regarding The Normanskill Farm. A kill is most commonly a creek, but also a tidal inlet, river, strait, or arm of the sea. The term is derived from the Middle Dutch kille (kil in modern Dutch), meaning "riverbed" or "water channel". It is found in areas of Dutch influence in the Netherlands' former North American colony of New Netherland, primarily the Hudson and Delaware Valleys.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2026, by Trudi Jacobson of Slingerlands, New York. This page has been viewed 19 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 28, 2026, by Trudi Jacobson of Slingerlands, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.



