Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Croom in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Simon's Episcopal Mission

 
 
St. Simon's Episcopal Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 2, 2004
1. St. Simon's Episcopal Mission Marker
Inscription.  One of three Episcopal congregations in southern Maryland created after the Civil War for African Americans. Founded ca. 1892 as a Sunday school by Rev. Francis P. Willes and his sisters. Later became a mission of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington. Provided vocational training for blacks through the Croom Industrial and Agricultural Institute. Visited by Pauli Murray, first black female Episcopal priest. Chapel was demolished in 1976.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionCivil RightsIndustry & CommerceWar, US CivilWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 38° 44.923′ N, 76° 45.602′ W. Marker is in Croom, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Croom Road (Maryland Route 382) and St. Thomas Church Road, on the left when traveling south on Croom Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles
St. Simon's Episcopal Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, August 18, 2013
2. St. Simon's Episcopal Mission Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enemy Bluff (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Thomas' Parish Church (about 300 feet away); Bishop Thomas John Claggett (about 600 feet away); St. Simon's Mission, 1896 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Croom (approx. Ύ mile away); Bellefields (approx. 0.9 miles away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 2½ miles away); Eastern Bluebird (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Croom.
 
Also see . . .  St. Simon's Episcopal Church Site and Cemetery, Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties. (Submitted on August 11, 2019.)
 
St. Simon's Episcopal Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
National Park Service, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, June 24, 2019
3. St. Simon's Episcopal Mission Marker
Viewing marker from the south with the St. Thomas Episcopal Parish Welcome sign in background.
Site of St. Simon's Mission image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, August 18, 2013
4. Site of St. Simon's Mission
The site of St. Simon's Episcopal Mission is .2 miles east of the marker, and also the location of another St. Simon's marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,494 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   2. submitted on September 7, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on August 11, 2019.   4. submitted on September 7, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3619

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022