Caruthersville in Pemiscot County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The capital of historic Pemiscot County and center for a cotton, grain, timber, and industrial area, Caruthersville was laid out, 1857, by George W. Bushey and J. Hardeman Walker (1794-1860), on the Walker plantation. "Bootheel" counties Pemiscot, Dunklin, and a section of New Madrid are said to be part of Missouri through efforts of Walker. His grave is in Eastwood Methodist Churchyard.
First settlement in this vicinity was the French village of Little Prairie founded as a trading post near an Indian village in 1794, by Francois Le Sieur while Missouri was Spanish Upper Louisiana. During the great New Madrid Earthquakes of 1811-12, Little Prairie, being in the center of disturbance, was destroyed. Rebuilt, it was later known as Lost Village, and finally fell victim to flood waters and caving river bank.
Caruthersville became seat of Pemiscot County in 1898. Named for its main bayou, an Indian derivative meaning liquid mud, the county was organized, 1851. The first county seat, Gayoso, named for the Spanish Gov. of La., was a few miles north of here. The site was abandoned to the Mississippi River.
Caruthersville grew as a shipping center with the coming of Louis Houck's St. Louis, Kennett, & Southern R.R. (now Frisco), 1894. Lumber companies, harvesting the county's forests, spurred railroad development. Land reclaimed by St. Francis River (1893) and Little River (1905) drainage districts and levees increased growth. County population rose from 12,115 in 1900 to 45,624 in 1950.
Pemiscot County lies in territory ceded by Osage tribes, 1808, and utilized by bands of Delaware, Shawnee, and Cherokee Indians. Some of the largest Indian mounds found in Missouri are in this county. One mound, near Cottonwood Point, measured 400 feet by 250 before land use reduced its size.
Erected 1957 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & Commerce • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Missouri, The State Historical Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 36° 11.359′ N, 89° 39.414′ W. Marker is in Caruthersville, Missouri, in Pemiscot County. Marker is at the intersection of Ward Avenue and 7th Street, on the right when traveling south on Ward Avenue. Located in front of the Pemiscot County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caruthersville MO 63830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General John M. Riggs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sterling Price Reynolds (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lt. Col. John B. England (approx. 1.2 miles away); General Clifton Bledsoe Cates (approx. 16.2 miles away in Tennessee); Capture of Island No. 10 (approx. 16.2 miles away in Tennessee); Tiptonville Presbyterian Church (approx. 16˝ miles away in Tennessee).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.