Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mary Kittamaquund

 
 
Mary Kittamaquund Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, April 19, 2011
1. Mary Kittamaquund Marker
Inscription.  Mary was the only child of Kittamaquund, paramount chief of the Piscataway tribes when Lord Baltimore's settlers arrived in Maryland in 1634. In 1641, seven-year-old Mary became the ward of Maryland governor Leonard Calvert and his sister-in-law Margaret Brent. Three years later Mary was married to Margaret Brent's 38-year-old brother, Giles Brent, who likely intended to gain control of Piscataway lands through the alliance. The Brents moved to Virginia to lands near here in 1647, where Giles and Mary had at least three children. Giles Brent remarried in 1654, but there is no record of Mary's death.
 
Erected 2010 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E 90-a.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWomen. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1634.
 
Location. 38° 27.001′ N, 77° 24.151′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Stafford County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (U.S. 1) and Foreston Woods Dr, on the right when traveling north on Jefferson Davis Hwy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peyton’s Ordinary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Government Island (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Government Island (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fleurries (approx. one mile away); Aquia Church (approx. one mile away); The Robertson Quarry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site Selection / Architectural Features (approx. 1.2 miles away); Island Ownership (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
 
Mary Kittamaquund Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, April 19, 2011
2. Mary Kittamaquund Marker
Mary Kittamaquund Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, April 19, 2011
3. Mary Kittamaquund Marker
View looking North on Route 1. There is no place to pull over. Post office is on the right in this photo. Best to park in the shopping center lot just south at Foreston Woods Dr.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2011, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,626 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2011, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41820

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024