Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure

1982

 
 
Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
1. Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure Marker
Inscription.  On this site was located the first cemetery for Fort Brooke, a U.S. military post dating from 1824 to 1882. Seminole Indians, soldiers and civilian settlers buried here were excavated by archaeologists in 1980 prior to construction of the parking garage and reinterred in other locations. Evidence of occupation by Indian groups spanning the period 8,000 B.C. - A.D. 1824 was also recovered during the excavations.

City of Tampa
Bob Martinez       Mayor
City Council
Lloyd Copeland, Chairman • Thomas W. Vann • Lee Duncan • Eddie Caballero • Sandra Freedman • Helen Chavez • Haven Poe

Dale H. Twachtmann, Administrator • Water Resources and Public Works
Mike Salmon, Director • Department of Public Works
Architects
McElvey, Jeennewein, Stefany & Howard Architects - Planners, Inc. • RMBR Architects - Planners, Inc. • Joint Venture
Contractor
Biltmore Construction Co.
Archaeologist
Piper Archaeology

 
Erected 1982 by the City of Tampa.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
 
Location. 27° 56.763′ N, 82° 27.418′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from North Franklin Street north of East Whiting Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at the site of the parking garage in downtown Tampa. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 North Franklin Street, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Brooke Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Great 1909 Auto Race (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. James McKay, I (1808 - 1876) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William F. Poe Plaza (about 400 feet away); Officers Quarters Fort Brooke (about 400 feet away); Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D. (about 500 feet away); Tampa POW/MIA (about 500 feet away); In the Beginning... (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on an east-facing wall at the base of the stairway near the entrance to William F. Poe
Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
2. Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure Marker
Plaza in the northwest corner of the garage. It is across from Primo Deli Cafe and near the City of Tampa Parking Division Administrative Offices.

The marker is a large metal plaque (possibly brass) which were cast with three different three-dimensional relief images. The plaque's left side features a Seminole Chief, while on the right appears an officer from Fort Brooke, each holding a rifle. The third relief appears at the top-center, showing the faces of four females. These appear to represent a settler mother and child, a Seminole woman, and a slave of African descent. The plaque also features the official seal of the City of Tampa.
 
Regarding Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure. Native American cultures which lived at the Fort Brooke site in the centuries preceding European colonization include the Tocobaga, and possibly the Timucua (see nearby "Timuquan Indian Mound" historical marker). Sources differ on the presence of the later, with some stating the Tocobaga were confused for Timucua because they spoke the same language.

The Manasota, a pre-historic culture which inhabited the region between 500 BC - AD 700, may have been one source for some of the ancient anthropological evidence found in the garage site excavation.

The Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure (a.k.a. Fort Brooke Parking
Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, July 30, 2010
3. Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure Marker
To the left is the exit onto William F. Poe Plaza.
Garage) is a 2,523 space parking structure that services One Tampa City Center, City Hall, the Hyatt Regency Hotel, and other surrounding businesses. In addition to its parking area, the structure has several commercial spaces and is home to many retail and professional offices.

At ground level on the structure's west side is Whiting Station, the current downtown terminus of the TECO Line Streetcar System. Whiting Station incorporates a permanent light display titled "Siteliner" by artist James Woodfill.

Extending from the garage's third level, and just above Whiting Station, is a large, enclosed platform which used to serve as a station for the Harbour Island People Mover, an elevated, automated guideway transit system which ran south from the Fort Brooke Garage, across the Garrison Channel to Harbour Island. On the island, the People Mover's run ended at The Shops at Harbour Island, a waterside shopping and entertainment complex which opened in 1985. The complex did not enjoy long-term success, and in 1995 the shops were closed and converted to the commercial offices now called Knight's Point. The People Mover continued to shuttle between its two stations until 1999, when it closed due to low ridership and high operating costs. The pylons and elevated track were torn down, leaving only its station platforms at Fort Brooke and Harbour Island.
 
Additional keywords.
William F. Poe Plaza and Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
4. William F. Poe Plaza and Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure
The entrance to the garage stairwell, where the marker is located, is seen beyond the center concrete column. On the right, under the awning, is Primo's Deli Cafe, one of several businesses housed in the Fort Brooke Garage.
Public Garage
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,403 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44377

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024