Cathedral of Immaculate Conception
Oldest church structure in continuous use in Fort Wayne area and seat of Catholicism in Northern Indiana.
Christianity carried to this part of the New World in 1600's by Catholic missionaries. Land formerly part of burial ground for Miami Indians.
Major portion of Cathedral square purchased by Fr. Stephan Baden, 1831. Remaining land acquired by Fr. Julian Benoit, chief architect and first rector of the Cathedral.
Cornerstone laid June 19, 1859. Dedicated December 8, 1860 on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.
Diocese of Fort Wayne established 1857. John H. Luers, First Bishop.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1772.
Location. 41° 4.541′ N, 85° 8.295′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is on Clinton Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1122 South Clinton Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Also see . . . A Brief History of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Fort Wayne History Center website entry (Submitted on August 9, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2011, by Autumn N. Potts of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2011, by Autumn N. Potts of Fort Wayne, Indiana. 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 24, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on May 2, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.