Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Charleston in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Indian Mound

 
 
Indian Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
By David H Ray
1. Indian Mound Marker
Inscription.  In 1883 the Smithsonian Institution excavated the South Charleston or Criel Mound. Thirteen skeletons were found, most of them in a large log tomb at the base of the mound, along with a few grave offerings. The mound was built by the Adena Culture, about A.D. 1. It is the second largest in the State of West Virginia and the last of many mounds and earthworks that once were found in the Charleston area.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 38° 22.143′ N, 81° 41.851′ W. Marker is in South Charleston, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 60 and Oakes Avenue on U.S. 60. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston WV 25303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ordnance Plant (approx. 0.4 miles away); War At The Front Door (approx. 1.8 miles away); Baptism By Fire (approx. 1.9 miles away); George W. Summers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.3 miles away); Battle of Charleston (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Scammon (approx. 2.9 miles away); Military Occupation (approx. 3.4 miles away); Presidential Presence (approx. 3.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by David H Ray of Aberdeen, Maryland. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 30, 2011, by David H Ray of Aberdeen, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45246

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021