Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chadron in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail

 
 
The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Stroud, June 1992
1. The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail Marker
Inscription.  From about 1837 until 1850, more than a quarter million buffalo robes bought from Indians and 27 tons of fur company trade goods were hauled over the 300 mile long Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail that followed the White River through this area. First used by the American Fur Company, the trail had its origin as part of an earlier Spanish trade route from Santa Fe to the Missouri River in present South Dakota. During the 1840s the Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail was the shortest overland connection between trading posts on the Platte and steamboats plying the Missouri.

After the government purchased Fort Laramie in 1849, Colonel Aeneas Mackay and Captain Stewart Van Vliet with ten mounted riflemen traveled the trail to Fort Pierre. General William S. Harney's troops marched over the route in 1855, and the trail was mapped by Lt. G. K. Warren of his staff. Small traders and government freighters continued to use portions of the trail until the 1880s. Ruts from the passage of thousands of carts and wagons can still be seen in several places between Fort Laramie and Fort Robinson.
 
Erected by Nebraska
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
State Historical Society. (Marker Number 304.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationForts and CastlesNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 42° 50.08′ N, 103° 4.02′ W. Marker is in Chadron, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker is on U.S. 385 near U.S. 20. Roadside park, west Jct. U.S. 385/U.S. 20. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chadron NE 69337, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Robinson - Camp Sheridan - Pine Ridge Indian Agency Road (approx. 2.9 miles away); Historic Northwestern Nebraska (approx. 2.9 miles away); The First Church in Chadron (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Chadron-Chicago Cowboy Race (approx. 3.4 miles away); Chadron State College (approx. 3˝ miles away); Bordeaux Trading Post (approx. 6˝ miles away); Chadron Creek Trading Post (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Gouverneur K.
Buffalo For Robes image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Stroud, June 1992
2. Buffalo For Robes
These Guys have shed their "Winter" Coats
Warren

Mentioned On Marker, Warren later gained fame as a Major General in the Civil War. Known as the "Saviour of Little Round Top" at Gettysburg for his efforts to stave off disaster at that important point in the battle, he went on to lead a corps of the Army of the Potomac at Bristoe Station, Mine Run, and the Overland Campaign of 1864. His service ended somewhat ingloriously, when relieved in the closing days of the war at the Battle of Five Forks.
    — Submitted January 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
 
One of Many Windmill Water Pumps That Dot the Landscape thru This Region image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Stroud, June 1992
3. One of Many Windmill Water Pumps That Dot the Landscape thru This Region
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,369 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4530

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024