Silesia in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Broad Creek Historic District
The Broad Creek area's historical significance is derived from several factors. It includes the original land grant of Battersea; the site of the town of Aire, one of six towns established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1706 as ports for the shipping of tobacco; and St. John's Episcopal Church, established in 1692, the present building dating from 1766. St. John's is considered to be the "mother church" of other Episcopal churches in the region.
The District also includes three early to mid-18th century landmark buildings: Harmony Hall (a Georgian manor dating from 1723), Piscataway House
Erected by Prince George's County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1915.
Location. 38° 44.601′ N, 76° 59.982′ W. Marker is in Silesia, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Livingston Road 0 miles north of Fort Washington Road, on the left when traveling north. From from the Capital Beltway (I-95/495), take Indian Head Highway (MD 210) south and turn right [west] at Fort Washington Road. Livingston Road is at the first signal light. Turn right [north] at this intersection and then left into the Harmony Hall Regional Center (John Addison Concert Hall) parking lot. The Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10701 Livingston Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Silesia School (approx. 0.4 miles away); 40 Members of the Col. John Addison Family (approx. 0.8 miles away); Prince George’s County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chapel Hill (approx. 1˝ miles away); “Coach” James W. Crawford (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Foote (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Foote (approx. 2.3 miles away); King's Depression Carriage (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Regarding Broad Creek Historic District. The historic district lies between Livingston Road and Broad Creek, extending north from Fort Washington Road to Oxon Hill Road. Be aware that Livingston Road is a meandering, two lane country road through the Historic District - with a very narrow shoulder north of the Harmony Hall Regional Center - quaint, but possibly hazardous due to the sometimes heavy commuter traffic.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Broad Creek, Prince George's County, Maryland(Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,983 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on January 7, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 15, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 9, 10. submitted on July 23, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.