Marathon in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
As Maravillas Creek developed from a draw into water channel, old water hole vanished. About 1900 a rancher, George Miller, dug two wells and put up twin windmills. After that site was called Double Mills.
Became campsite for ranchers driving cattle and horses from Mexico or the Chisos Mountains to the railroad at Marathon. Also for wagon trains of ore; and for U.S. troops on border duty.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1258.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Comanche Trail into Mexico marker series.
Location. 29° 44.569′ N, 103° 9.648′ W. Marker is in Marathon, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is on U.S. 385, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in small rest stop, on left, going south on 385. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marathon TX 79842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are The U.S. Army Camel Experiment (a few steps from this marker); Comanche Trail (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Anthropology & Archaeology • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans •
More. Search the internet for Double Mills.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 602 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.