Jefferson Market Garden
Named for Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States, the Jefferson Market opened on this site in 1833, alongside a police court, a volunteer firehouse, and a jail. The market grew rapidly to include fishmongers, poultry vendors, and hucksters. It was razed in 1873 to make way for a new civic complex and courthouse.
The Jefferson Market Courthouse, with its fire-watch bell tower, and lighted clock dial, was designed by Fredrick Clarke Withers and Calvert Vaux, and built in 1877. The ornate courthouse struck the New York Times as inappropriate for such a shoddy neighborhood – “a jewel in a pig’s snout.” Nonetheless, architects polled in 1895 deemed the building to be the fifth most beautiful in the United States. While Vaux believed that the cells should be “strong, secure and entirely unattractive,: he created a six-tiered structure that allowed some light to penetrate and air to circulate. At the turn of the century, the triangular parcel between
In 1927 the jail, the market and the firehouse were demolished and replaced by the City’s only House of Detention for Women, an 11-story building designated in the French Art Deco style by Benjamin W. Levitan. By the time the Women’s House of Detention opened in 1931, the adjacent courthouse heard only cases with female defendants. Correction Commissioner Richard Patterson introduced the facility as “undoubtedly the best institution of its kind in the United States if not indeed the entire world.” Contemporaries noted the facility’s modern equipment, one of the most striking features being a turntable altar in the chapel, with sections fitted respectively for Protestant, Catholic,, and Jewish services. Use of public transportation declined during the Depression, and the clattering elevated railways were criticized for lowering property values. The 6th Avenue line was demolished in 1939. Amendments to the district court system in 1945 led to the abandonment of the courthouse, which was to be sold by auction in 1959, The Greenwich Village Association (GVA), led by Margot Gayle and Verna Small, campaigned forcefully to preserve the building, and won their first victory in 1961 by
The Board of Estimate transferred the site to Parks in 1974, and the Jefferson Market Garden Committee, Inc., composed of Village neighborhood associations and homeowners, was entrusted with its care. Landscape architect Pamela Berdan originally designed the garden in the spirit of Frederick Law Olmsted, who co-designed Central and Prospect Parks with Calvert Vaux. The garden was planted with 10 Star and Saucer Magnolia trees, 7 Yoshino Cherry trees, 2 American Yellowwoods, 7 Thornless Honey locusts, 10 Crabapple trees, 70 fairy hedge roses around the lawn, 60 pycarantha, and 56 holly bushes in clusters. Volunteers have since planted tulips, daffodils, and crocuses in garden.
In the late 1960s, GVA and Community Board 2 held town meetings to discuss the removal of the Women’s House of Detention and the creation of a “passive recreation area” on the site. At the time, friends and families of inmates lingered outside the House at all hours of the day or night, yelling their news and greetings. Nearby residents were disturbed by the noise. Gawkers came to watch the scene. The facility was overcrowded and had become obsolete. The Women’s House of Detention was demolished in 1973, after 42 years
A generous grant, one of the last made by the Vincent Astor Foundation, funded the new decorative steel fence, which recalls the design of the courthouse fence and unifies the site. On October 13, 1998 Mrs. Brook Astor dedicated the fence at a ceremony attended by members of the Greenwich Village community.
Erected 1999 by City of New York Parks & Recreation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Horticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list.
Location. 40° 44.07′ N, 73° 59.984′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Greenwich Avenue. The Jefferson Market Garden is located on Greenwich Avenue between West 10th Street and Christopher Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Greenwich Avenue, New York NY 10011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Market Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 4 Patchin Place / e.e. cummings (within shouting distance of this marker); 27 Christopher Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Ives (about 500 feet away); Northern Dispensary
Also see . . . Jefferson Market Library - New York Architecture. This article also describes the Jefferson Market Jail and Women's Detention Facilities. “In place of the wretched and desolate quarters of the old Jefferson Market Prison, at one time hailed as a remarkable step in advance, replacing the inhumane and dungeon-like city prison of early days, there stands a modern structure providing hygienic and wholesome environment, with most ample possibilities for segregation of types of offenders; splendid facilities for organized recreation, wholesome work rooms and medical equipment adapted to every need." (Submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on April 11, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.