Sierra Blanca in Hudspeth County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(August 9, 1843 – July 30, 1927)
He served as a Texas Ranger 1881-1882 and in 1883 under Capt. George W. Baylor. He was also a teamster at Fort Davis.
Later he was a hunter, selling fresh game (a welcome substitute for dried, cured meat) in El Paso.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 238.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list.
Location. 31° 10.835′ N, 105° 21.062′ W. Marker is in Sierra Blanca, Texas, in Hudspeth County. Marker can be reached from East Brown Street 0.3 miles east of Sierra Blanca Avenue (Ranch to Market Road 1111). Marker is in cemetery Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sierra Blanca TX 79851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Quitman (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hudspeth County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sierra Blanca Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Killing of General J. J. Byrne (approx. 0.6 miles away); America's Second Transcontinental Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hudspeth County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Claude Hudspeth (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.