Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Colonel's Island

 
 
Colonel's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 21, 2013
1. Colonel's Island Marker
Inscription.  Until about 1778 this island was called Bermuda, but afterward called Colonelís Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included “Woodville,” “Herronís Point,” “Maxwellton,” “Suligree,” “Maybank,: “Black Rock,” “Laws,” “Cedar Point,” “Hickory Hill,” “Dunhamís,” and “Melon Bluff.”

Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonelís Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder.

Long before European explorers reached North America Colonelís Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation.
 
Erected 1996 by Liberty County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
 
Location. 31° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
42.612′ N, 81° 16.972′ W. Marker is near Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of Islands Highway (Georgia Route 38) and Kings Road, on the right when traveling east on Islands Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hinesville GA 31310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Morris (approx. 3Ĺ miles away); The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. 4 miles away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Sunbury (approx. 4.1 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
 
Colonel's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 21, 2013
2. Colonel's Island Marker
Colonel's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 21, 2013
3. Colonel's Island Marker
Looking southeast on Kings Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2013, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,144 times since then and 175 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 30, 2013, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2013, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62921

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024