Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1849, a Bohemian priest, Father George Menzel, erected a more substantial cross as a symbol of redemption and civilization. Easter Sunrise Services were held on the mountain for many years prior to 1941. In 1946 the Very Rev. F. X. Wolf threw the switch to illuminate the permanent
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10025.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 17.651′ N, 98° 52.066′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on Cross Mountain Trail Road 0.1 miles west of North Milam Street (Farm to Market Road 965), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christian Crenwelge Place (approx. one mile away); The Johann Joseph Knopp House (approx. one mile away); Vogel Sunday House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Henry Cordes House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Weber “Das Keller Haus” (approx. 1.2 miles away); Heinrich Bierschwale House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Loeffler - Weber House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 562 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 22, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.