Palmetto Bay in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Perrine Land Grant
In 1838, the United States Congress granted a township of land in the southern extremity of Florida to noted horticulturist Dr. Henry Perrine and his associates. This land was to be used in experiments aimed at introducing foreign tropical plants and seeds into Florida. Although Dr. Perrine did not select a township before his death in 1840, he indicated the areas he preferred and his family later selected the land which came to be called the Perrine Land Grant. Born in 1797, Henry Perrine was trained as a physician. During a visit to Cuba in 1826, he became interested in tropical plants which might be successfully introduced into the southern United States. As American consul in Campeche, Mexico (1827-1838), Dr. Perrine began to send Mexican plants to a friend on Indian Key in Florida and to seek government support for future agricultural experiments.
Erected 1973 by Perrine Cutler Ridge Rotary Club in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-215.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 25° 37.089′ N, 80° 20.745′ W. Marker is in Palmetto Bay, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dixie Highway (U.S. 1) and SW 160th Street, on the right when traveling north on South Dixie Highway. The marker is located in Perrine Wayside Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16425 South Dixie Highway, Miami FL 33157, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Town of Peters (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Cutler Road (approx. Chinese Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Deering Estate at Cutler (approx. 2.3 miles away); Miami Serpentarium (approx. 2.6 miles away); Special Agent Jerry Dove, Special Agent Benjamin Grogan (approx. 2.9 miles away); Naval Air Station Richmond (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ferdinand Magellan (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto Bay.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.