Franklin in Macon County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cherokee Heritage Trails
The Cherokee dominated the southern Appalachians for thousands of years. When Alexander Cuming visited Nikwasi in 1730, the Cherokees had men and women leaders in autonomous towns that functioned democratically. Cuming called a council here that was attended by more than two thousand representatives from Cherokee towns. Cuming chose an Emperor, and took a Cherokee delegation to London. In 1761 the British, former allies of the Cherokee, destroyed Nikwasi. After the Cherokees rebuilt, the Americans destroyed it in 1776. The Cherokees rebuilt again and lived here until this area was taken by the Treaty of 1819.
The Nikwasi mound is one of the largest surviving mounds in the original Cherokee territory of 140,000 square miles. In 1946, the schoolchildren of Macon County saved their pennies and bought the mound through the Macon County Historical Society to save it from development. It is now owned by the Town of Franklin.
Erected 2008 by Cherokee Heritage Trails.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1730.
Location. 35° 11.09′ N, 83° 22.401′ W. Marker is in Franklin, North Carolina, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Business U.S. 441) and Nikwasi Lane, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin NC 28734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nikwasi (here, next to this marker); The North Carolina Bartram Trail (approx. half a mile away); William Bartram Naturalist (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Echoe (approx. half a mile away); Gem Mining (approx. half a mile away); Macon County Confederate Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Dixie Hall (approx. half a mile away); Thomas's Legion (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 114 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.