Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Peters Township near Mercersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

This Stone Marks the Site of the Fort at McDowell's Mill

 
 
This Stone Marks the Site of the Fort at McDowell's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, May 18, 2008
1. This Stone Marks the Site of the Fort at McDowell's Mill Marker
Inscription.  Erected by John McDowell before 1754. It was used as a base of supplies and as a magazine until the erection of Fort Loudon in 1756. The military road from Pennsylvania, connecting with the Braddock Road at Turkey Foot, was built from this point in 1755 under the supervision of Col James Burd. During the period of Indian hostility the fort at McDowell's Mill was the scene of many thrilling events.
 
Erected 1916 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Enoch Brown Association, The Descendants of John McDowell and the Citizens of this region.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesNotable BuildingsSettlements & SettlersWar, French and Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1754.
 
Location. 39° 52.484′ N, 77° 52.301′ W. Marker is near Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. It is in Peters Township. Marker is at the intersection of Lemar Road and Mercersburg Road, on the right when traveling north on Lemar Road. Touch for map. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at or near this postal address: 3685 Mercersburg Rd, Mercersburg PA 17236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort McDowell (here, next to this marker); Black Boys Rebellion (approx. 2 miles away); W-G-M Turnpike (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fort Loudon (approx. 3.3 miles away); Steiger House at Mercersburg (approx. 3˝ miles away); Stuart's Headquarters (approx. 3˝ miles away); William Findlay (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named William Findlay (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercersburg.
 
More about this marker. Marker is in the community of Markes.
 
Full view of two Fort McDowell markers. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, May 18, 2008
2. Full view of two Fort McDowell markers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,608 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8045

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024