Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Fort Loudoun
Home and Seminary of
Katherine Glass Greene
Organizing regent of
Fort Loudoun Chapter NSDAR - 1921
Presented by the chapter on its 75th Anniversary
Erected 1996 by Fort Loudoun Chapter, National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Education • War, French and Indian • Women. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1756.
Location. 39° 11.315′ N, 78° 9.842′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is on Loudoun Street near Peyton Street, on the right when traveling south. Located on the east side of the Fort Loudoun Apartment building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Loudoun (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington's Well (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort LoudounJackson’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Jackson’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away); Loyal Quaker and Brave Slave (about 500 feet away); George Washington Lot (about 700 feet away); Photos of Old Town Winchester (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Also see . . . A History of Fort Loudoun. NSDAR Fort Loudoun Chapter. The chapter's gavel is made from wood of the original Fort Loudoun. (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
1. Fort Loudoun Apartments
The western portion of Fort Loudoun became a bastion of education. In 1830, Joseph Baker started a Baptist seminary on this site called the Winchester Female Academy. Katherine Glass Greene was one of the founders of the Fort Loudoun Female Seminary, in 1905. The school building became Fort Loudoun Apartments in 1954. In 1848 this little verse appeared in a leaflet advertising the academy:
be an established rule,
That on the top of Old Fort Hill
Is taught the finest school.
— Submitted May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,808 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.