Glenrock in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Deer Creek Station
The station began with Joseph Bissonette’s Trading Post, also known as Dakota City. The mountain man’s store, post office, blacksmith shop, corrals, and hotel-saloon, served the needs of a variety of visitors. They included photographer William Henry Jackson during his days as a freighter, stage passengers such as British author, Sir Richard Burton, a party of Lutheran missionaries who remained in the area from 1859-1864, troops en route to Salt Lake City during the Utah war and in the winter of 1859-1860, an expedition of the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers under Captain William F. Raynolds. From 1857 to 1861, the post also was a trading center for the nearby Upper Platte Indian Agency, located about three and a half miles upstream along Deer Creek.
Beginning in April of 1860, Pony Express Riders exchanged mounts here at Deer Creek Station. The Pony Express experiment, however, ended abruptly in October
Indian-white hostilities escalated after the Civil War began, prompting troops from Fort Laramie to erect a military installation across the road from the trading post in 1862. From Deer Creek, troops sought to protect the telegraph line and travelers along the trail. Intensifying conflicts between the soldiers and Indians ultimately forced Bissonette to abandon his establishment in the fall of 1864. Indians finally burned Deer Creek Station on August 18, 1866. This incident marked the closing of an important chapter of Wyoming’s early history
Erected by Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 42° 51.612′ N, 105° 52.314′ W. Marker is in Glenrock, Wyoming, in Converse County. Marker is on South 4th Street (Business Route 25), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Cedar Street, Glenrock WY 82637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ferdinand V. Hayden (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock in the Glen Alah H. Unthank (approx. 4.8 miles away); Ada Magill (approx. 5.4 miles away); Big Muddy Oil Field (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Deer Creek Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.