St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cofradia Site Coquina Well
The 1990 excavation of this coquina block well revealed furniture fragments from the 1600s, a rarity among St. Augustine's artifacts. Most likely, the well was built in the early 1600s and filled quickly about 1670 with household items from a catastrophe, perhaps a fire or an enemy raid. Archaeologists found chunks of earthen building material, probably from a house destroyed by a tragedy.
A 1764 map of the city reveals ownership of the site by the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, a religious organization of laypersons. Earlier documents have not been found to explain the destruction that filled the well.
In 2004 protection of this rare and important site as a park became a project of Old Town Association, Inc., in partnership with the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the City of St. Augustine. Financial underwriting was provided, in part, by Celestine Vision, LLC, in honor of Aviles Street's role in "The Celestine Prophecy" movie.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Colonial Era • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1614.
Location. 29° 53.43′ N, 81° 18.675′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Aviles Street and Bravo Lane, on the left when traveling south on Aviles Street. Marker is in courtyard next to well. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Miguel O'Reilly House (a few steps from this marker); Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Solana House (within shouting distance of this marker); Signal From Shore (within shouting distance of this marker); Ximenez-Fatio House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Ximenez-Fatio House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Ximenez-Fatio House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sisters of St. Joseph - Florida Motherhouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 2. submitted on March 23, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 3. submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.