Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Military Road

Crown Point to Ticonderoga

— 1689 – 1783 —

 
 
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
1. Old Military Road Marker
Inscription.  
Used by troops during early
Colonial Wars and during
the American Revolution.

 
Erected by Ticonderoga Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraMilitaryNotable PlacesRoads & VehiclesWar, French and IndianWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 43° 54.111′ N, 73° 25.644′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 9 and Shore Airport Road (County Route 43), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 9. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A landscape filled with legend and activity . . . (approx. 1.8 miles away); Streetroad Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Soldiers' Monument (approx. 3½ miles away); Island Mill (approx. 3½ miles away); Anatomy of the River (approx. 3.6 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); 1756 French Saw Mill on La Chute River (approx. 3.6 miles away); Crossroads of a Community (approx. 3.6 miles away); Samuel De Champlain (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
 
Also see . . .
1. Crown Point State Historic Site. New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website entry (Submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 

2. Fort Ticonderoga National Historic Landmark. Fort website homepage (Submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
2. Old Military Road Marker
Marker on Route 9 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
3. Marker on Route 9
The marker is located in between the Forts of Crown Point and Ticonderoga.
His Majesty’s Fort of Crown Point image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
4. His Majesty’s Fort of Crown Point
The British built this fort at Crown Point after the French abandoned Fort St. Frédéric, located at this site, in 1759. Together with Fort Ticonderoga to the south, these forts protected the British, and later the Americans, from an attack from the north.
Fort Ticonderoga image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
5. Fort Ticonderoga
This fort was constructed by the French in 1755 and named Fort Carillon. It was taken by the British in 1759 and renamed Fort Ticonderoga. American troops seized the fort in 1775, but the British retook it two years later.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,871 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9339

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024