Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Fort Meigs / to Fort Meigs
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Text on South Side :
1812 Marches 1813
- - - - -
Text on North Side :
1812 Marches 1813
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A123.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 33.352′ N, 83° 38.514′ W. Marker was in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker was on West Boundary StreetTouch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Meigs Union Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Interior Earthworks (approx. 0.4 miles away); Discipline (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Siege (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Indian Wars (approx. half a mile away); Maumee Rapids (approx. half a mile away); Blockhouses (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type A) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, A123, which is listed on page 57 of the 1931, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's Planning Report.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe (Submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System.
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of Generals Harrison, Hull, and Tupper, during the War of 1812. According to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report (see page 57), it was used on the portion of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System that connected Springfield to Fort Meigs. According to the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails cartographic map, that was issued by the ORMC in 1930, this marker was situated along the roadway that in 1930 was US 25, but is today, State Route 25.
Back in 1930, when this marker was originally erected, US 25 was most likely a two lane roadway, whereas today, it is a four lane roadway.
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System, it is difficult to identify the probable location of these markers because the roadways of 1930 are so much different from the present day roadways. Many of the original roadways have been re-routed or by-passed, or in some cases given new route number designations, and this particular
Originally State Route 65 had been routed right over the site of Fort Meigs and ran right through the middle of our present day Fort Meigs State Memorial park, however, sometime after 1930, it was re-routed around the Fort Meigs Cemetery, and the roadway was completely removed from the grounds of the Fort Meigs State Memorial park.
So today, the original ORMC trail that in 1930 followed West Front Street (old State Route 65) to the Fort Meigs State Memorial, no longer is capable of reaching its intended destination. The ORMC Trail comes up just short due to today's West Front Street coming to a dead end just a short distance in front of the reconstructed walls of Fort Meigs.
— Submitted April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on April 29, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9, 10. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.