Near Manassas in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Battle of Manassas
— July 21, 1861 6 a.m. —
After two hours Evans became suspicious; no Federal attack had developed. Soon he received a timely message via signal flag: "Look out for your left! You are turned!" Leaving a detachment here to guard the bridge, Evans shifted the balance of his brigade towards Matthews Hill, one mile to the west. There he hoped to intercept the Union advance and buy time for Confederate reinforcements to reach the field.
Erected by Manassas National Battlefield Park, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 21, 1861.
Location. 38° 49.406′ N, 77° 30.616′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6511 Sudley Rd, Manassas VA 20109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Opening Shots (a few steps from this marker); 4th South Carolina Infantry (a few steps from this marker); The Van Pelt House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farm Ford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union Retreat (approx. 0.4 miles away); Strategic Crossing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stone Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robinson House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
Also see . . .
1. Manassas National Battlefield Park. National Park Service (Submitted on May 13, 2016.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Opening Shots" (Submitted on May 13, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2016, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2016, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.