Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cherry Hall in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sandy Point & Cherry Hall

Charles City County, Virginia

 
 
Sandy Point & Cherry Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, August 3, 2007
1. Sandy Point & Cherry Hall Marker
Inscription.  Originally home to the Paspahegh Indians, Sandy Point was settled in 1617 as Smith's Hundred and after 1619 known as Southampton Hundred. St. Mary's Church was established here prior to the Powhatan Uprising of 1622. During the Revolutionary War local militia units were encamped on the James River. Prominent area homes have included Tettington and Tomahund, seats of the Lightfoot family, Byrdwood and The Rowe. Landmarks have included the Trees Point Pottery, Bethany Church (est. 1869), post offices at Tettington, Trees Point land Old Field, and schools at Banbury Farm (est. 1878) and Renwood (est. 1910). A ferry crossed the James from Sandy Point until 1942, and nearby Barrett's Ferry crossed the Chickahominy River until 1939. A store at the Sandy Point wharf stood until ca. 1955.

Inland from the James River during the 1800's, the cross-roads community that developed near Cherry Hall Plantation included Graves' Shop and Rural Shades Academy. Nearby stood the first Lower Church of Westover Parish (ca. 1735-1805) and Jerusalem Church (est. 1877). The store of W. T. Haynes served this community until ca. 1930.
 
Erected by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Charles City County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureColonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1617.
 
Location. 37° 18.623′ N, 76° 57.832′ W. Marker is in Cherry Hall, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is at the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 5) and Sandy Point Road (Virginia Route 613), on the right when traveling east on John Tyler Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherwood Forest (approx. 2 miles away); Sturgeon Point & Kennons (approx. 2 miles away); Kennon's Landing (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Pocahontas (approx. 2 miles away); Paspahegh Indians (approx. 2.1 miles away); Piney Grove and E. A. Saunders (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mt. Zion & Rustic (approx. 2.3 miles away); President Tyler's Home (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,083 times since then and 71 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 23, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9467

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024