Hamilton in Marion County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Hamilton was established on November 17, 1882 and was named in honor of Capt. Albert James Hamilton. Hamilton was first known as "Toll Gate," named for a toll gate on the Jackson Military Road. The original county seat of Marion County was Pikeville. Capt. Hamilton wanted to move the county seat to Toll Gate and offered to donate 40 acres of his land to the community. In 1882, the land donation from Captain Hamilton was accepted following a referendum and the name of the community was officially changed to Hamilton. Albert James Hamilton (December 7, 1838 - January 9, 1901) was born in Marion County, Alabama. In 1861, he enlisted in the 16th Alabama Infantry. Four months later he helped organize Company F, 5th Mississippi Cavalry. He later raised Company F, 7th Alabama Regiment from Marion County, and became the company captain. In 1865, Captain Hamilton was elected and served one term as sheriff. From 1869 to 1875, he served in the Alabama State Legislature.
Capt. Hamilton was a successful
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and The City of Hamilton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is January 9, 1882.
Location. 34° 8.272′ N, 87° 59.404′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Alabama, in Marion County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 464 Military Street South, Hamilton AL 35570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Marion Territory and Marion County Courts (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Alabama Cavalry (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Veterans Bicentennial Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Toll Gate (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Hamilton Mounds Site (approx. 2.9 miles away); General Jackson's Military Road (approx. 4.4 miles away); Historical Pikeville (approx. 7.1 miles away); City of Guin, Alabama: The Early Years / The Storms of 1974 (approx. 12.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Also see . . . Hamilton. Encyclopedia of Alabama entry. (Submitted on August 30, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.