Saint Jo in Montague County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Saint Jo
Next spurt of growth for town came with locating of Chisholm Cattle Trail through here about 1868. In 1871 village had a post office, blacksmith shop, and five stores. In 1872 I.H. Boggess (owner of the famous Stonewall Saloon) and Joe Howell bought 640 acres of land and laid out townsite, which Boggess named "Joe", for Howell. One story says he decided to add "Saint" because Joe was a staunch non-drinker; another version claims he added it to make the name longer.
In 1874 citizens built an all-faiths church and in 1876 a newspaper was established. Saint Jo was organized as a town in 1880; incorporated in 1886. Population
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5538.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 33° 41.813′ N, 97° 31.14′ W. Marker is in Saint Jo, Texas, in Montague County. Marker is at the intersection of East Boggess Street and South Line Street, on the left when traveling east on East Boggess Street. Located at the entrance to Boggess Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Boggess Street, Saint Jo TX 76265, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stonewall Saloon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Head of Elm (approx. ¼ mile away); The Phillips House (approx. half a mile away); Montague Catholic Cemetery (approx. 11 miles away); United Methodist Church of Montague (approx. 11.8 miles away); Frontier Montague County Trails & Mail Routes (approx. 12.4 miles away); Red River Station / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense Cotton Gin & Grist Millstones (approx. 12½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Jo.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article about Saint Jo. (Submitted on August 11, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.