Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Spanish and Mexican Land Grants

 
 
Spanish and Mexican Land Grants Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randi Berkovsky, September 22, 2016
1. Spanish and Mexican Land Grants Marker
Inscription.  The Texas A&M University-San Antonio Campus was built on land that once was conveyed by Spanish and Mexican land grants and traversed by several branches of El Camino Real de Tierra Afuera del Oriente (also known as El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail). The first inhabitants of the area were Native Americans, who, at the time of discovery by Spanish explorers, were Coahuiltecans. The earliest grant for this site was made to Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo in 1720, followed by a grant made to Mission San Francisco de la Espada, founded in 1731 following its transfer from east Texas. Eventually, interspersed within these mission lands were many private Spanish and Mexican land grants made to soldiers and citizens of Béxar. Vaqueros drove thousands of cattle from the mission and private ranch herds eastward to Louisiana in support of the American Revolution and Bernardo de Gálvez’s battles against the British along the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi River.

In 1808, Juan Ignacio Perez (1761-1830) received a large five-league Spanish land grant on both sides of the Medina River. In 1781, he married Clemencia Hernandez
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and became involved with ranching. He purchased the Old Comandancia, later known as the Spanish Governor’s Palace, from the Menchaca family. Along with his military and political success following the Battle of Medina (1813) on these lands, he was also a leading cattleman of the region. Smaller Mexican grants were eventually made to Jose de los Angeles (Angel) Navarro (1784-1836), brother of Jose Antonio Navarro, alcalde of San Antonio de Bexar and land commissioner, and Jose Antonio de la Garza (b. 1776), one of the largest landowners in San Antonio. A large portion of campus is situated on the Spanish land grant to Fernando Rodriguez, son-in-law of Juan Ignacio Perez.
 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18170.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureEducationHispanic AmericansNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1731.
 
Location. 29° 18.235′ N, 98° 31.481′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of University Way and Verano Parkway. Located on the Texas A&M University-San Antonio campus next to the President's Seal, in front of the Central Academic Building. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Marker is at or near this postal address: One University Way, San Antonio TX 78224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Espada Aqueduct (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mission San Francisco de la Espada Dam, Ditch and Aqueduct (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mission San Francisco de la Espada (approx. 4½ miles away); San Antonio Missions / Las misiones de San Antonio (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Mission Road / El Camino de las Misiones (approx. 4.8 miles away); Indian Quarters / Habitaciones de los Indios (approx. 4.8 miles away); Mission San José / La Misión de San José (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Convento / El convento (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2016, by Nan Palmero of San Antonio, Texas. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 153 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 27, 2016, by Nan Palmero of San Antonio, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=98241

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 2, 2022