Near Cape Charles in Northampton County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First People Of The Eastern Shore
Research indicates that the village of Accawmack, seat of Esmy Shichans, the Laughing King, was at the mouth of Old Plantation Creek, as was later the Custis mansion. By 1622 Thomas Savage, an interpreter and English settler, had established a home nearby on land given to him by Esmy Shichans, and their friendship made for a peaceful environment between the Indians and the English planters living in the southern part of the peninsula.
However, after the deaths of both Shichans and Savage, relationships changed as planters pushed for more and more land on which to grow corn and tobacco. By the l64O's, some Indians (now known as the Gingaskins) remained in the Old Plantation Creek area, but many moved to acreage farther north on the Shore. Relations between
Erected by Arlington Foundation, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1608.
Location. 37° 13.727′ N, 76° 0.198′ W. Marker is near Cape Charles, Virginia, in Northampton County. Marker can be reached from Arlington Chase Road north of Custis Tomb Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cape Charles VA 23310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mansion Site (here, next to this marker); Bacon's Rebellion (here, next to this marker); Slavery on the Eastern Shore (here, next to this marker); The Custis Tombs (within shouting distance of this marker); Elijah Baker (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cape Charles Colored School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Cape Charles (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cape Charles to Little Creek (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cape Charles.
— Submitted October 16, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.