New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Old Stone Wharf
It was the scene of a Civil War engagement March 24, 1862 between the 3rd Florida Regiment and seamen of the Union gunboats "Henry Andrews" and "Penguin."
Erected 1940 by Jane Sheldon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 29° 1.181′ N, 80° 55.095′ W. Marker is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of South Riverside Drive and Clinch Street, on the right when traveling north on South Riverside Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located between S Riverside Dr and the Indian River. Marker is in this post office area: New Smyrna Beach FL 32168, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The New Smyrna Odyssey (approx. 0.4 miles away); Turnbull Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna (approx. 0.6 miles away); Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); To the Past... (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. Andrew Turnbull (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old St. Rita Colored Mission Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Smyrna Beach.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.