Nacgodoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Spanish Cemetery
Antonio Gil Y'Barbo (1729 - 1809) led the displaced persons who returned in 1779. He was the military and civil captain of militia, Lieutenant Governor and Judge of Revenue for the town and district of Nuestra Senora Del Pilar De Nacgodoches and in 1788 published the district's first criminal code. He is one of the early leaders buried in this plot.
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 9355.)
Location. 31° 36.217′ N, 94° 39.371′ W. Marker is in Nacgodoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is at the intersection of South Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling north on South Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William ("Bill") Goyens (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Jefferson Rusk (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Nacogdoches (within shouting distance of this marker); On this site stood the old "Red House" Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gladys Hampton Building (about 400 feet away); Chas. Hoya Land Office (about 500 feet away); Site of the home of James Dill (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacgodoches.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Hispanic Americans • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.