Bar Harbor in Hancock County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Village Burying Ground
Established before 1790 holds in many unmarked and unknown graves the remains of those courageous men and women pioneers on the frontier of downeast Maine. Sea captains, fishermen and farmers, shipwrights and hotelmen, selectmen and legislators, their wives and children, and the occasional sailor dying far from home also rest here. Strong commitment to the Union is remembered by the monument dedicated in 1897 by the Town of Eden already world-renowned under the later name of Bar Harbor.
Location. 44° 23.23′ N, 68° 12.395′ W. Marker is in Bar Harbor, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Mt. Desert Street (Maine Route 3) and School Street, on the right when traveling west on Mt. Desert Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bar Harbor ME 04609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Saviour's Episcopal Parish Welcomes You (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Abbe Museum & Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The YWCA and Jesup Memorial Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Donald A. Wood Band Stand Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); The Village Green (about 600 feet away); The Kedge (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bar Harbor.
Also see . . . Village Burying Ground at Find-A-Grave. (Submitted on April 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.