Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Fort Loudoun

 
 
Site of Fort Loudoun Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
1. Site of Fort Loudoun Marker
Inscription.
Built by George Washington in 1756
Home and Seminary of
Katherine Glass Greene
Organizing regent of
Fort Loudoun Chapter NSDAR - 1921
Presented by the chapter on its 75th Anniversary
1996

 
Erected 1996 by Fort Loudoun Chapter, National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 39° 11.315′ N, 78° 9.842′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is on Loudoun Street near Peyton Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the east side of the Fort Loudoun Apartment building. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Loudoun (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington's Well (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Loudoun (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Jackson’s Headquarters
Site of Fort Loudoun Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 28, 2009
2. Site of Fort Loudoun Marker
(about 500 feet away); Loyal Quaker and Brave Slave (about 500 feet away); George Washington Lot (about 700 feet away); President William McKinley (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Loudoun Chapter, NSDAR. The chapter's gavel is made from wood of the original Fort Loudoun. (Submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Fort Loudoun Apartments
The western portion of Fort Loudoun became a bastion of education. In 1830, Joseph Baker started a Baptist seminary on this site called the Winchester Female Academy. Katherine Glass Greene was one of the founders of the Fort Loudoun Female Seminary, in 1905. The school building became Fort Loudoun Apartments in 1954. In 1848 this little verse appeared in a leaflet advertising the academy:
It always has and ever will
be an established rule,
That on the top of Old Fort Hill
Is taught the finest school.
    — Submitted May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver
Fort Loudoun Apartments image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
3. Fort Loudoun Apartments
Spring, Maryland.

 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, French and Indian
 
Peyton Street & Loudoun Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 14, 2010
4. Peyton Street & Loudoun Street
Road signs on the wall of Fort Loundoun Apartments, the old school building.
Katherine Glass Greene image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 21, 2015
5. Katherine Glass Greene
This print of a portrait of Katherine Glass Greene by Edward Caledon Bruce hangs at Glen Burnie, her family home in Winchester.

“Katherine Glass Greene (1865-1948) was the oldest daughter of Colonel W. W. Glass and his wife Nannie Rebecca Campbell Wood. Greene, a graduate of Fairfax Hall Academy, studied extensively abroad and at several universities on the East Coast. In 1905, she founded the Fort Loudoun Female Seminary with Miss Laura Gold and served as its president until 1925. A widely respected scholar, Greene was the author of several books and articles relating to early Winchester and Frederick County history as well as a book entitled The Evolution of the Concept of God in 1934. She was married to H. R. Greene in 1921. She died on May 11, 1948 and is buried with her husband at Mount Hebron Cemetery.” --- from the Handley Regional Library, Winchester Virginia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,570 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement