Founded 1882. Incorporated 1910. Named for Frederick Ede, native of England and pioneer ranchman on whose land the town was located, and who donated land for this public square.
Farming and ranching area. Wool and mohair marketing center. . . . — — Map (db m115514) HM
In 1903 a group of area residents began meeting for worship services in the Eden schoolhouse. Three years later, a few new families moved into the area and they were welcomed to the services of the existing Church of Christ group. A second . . . — — Map (db m115511) HM
The first Eden schoolhouse was erected in 1885, and itinerant preachers who stopped to give sermons in the schoolhouse attracted people of all faiths. A community Sunday school met in the building for several years. The first Methodist Sunday school . . . — — Map (db m115512) HM
The Rev. Zachariah Martin Wells of Menard, who had organized Baptist churches in San Saba, Kimble and Menard counties, led an organizational meeting for the Eden Baptist church in August 1886 in a community building erected as a school and . . . — — Map (db m115564) HM
Ira Clarence Eaker was born April 13, 1896, in Field Creek, Llano County, Texas. In 1906, his parents, Young Yancy and Ladonia (Graham) Eaker, moved the family to the Eden area, where he and his brothers attended school. Eaker enlisted in the army . . . — — Map (db m115560) HM
Born in Eden, Texas, the son of Dee Forest and Annie Powell Rudder. Was graduated from the A&M College of Texas in 1932 and commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry. Was a teacher, coach, area rancher and businessman. Served as mayor of the City of . . . — — Map (db m115561) HM
Fred Ede platted Eden in 1882, setting this land aside for a cemetery. Though older burials may be present, the earliest known tombstone is that of the five-week-old infant son of Frederick and Susan (Reynolds) Shutt, buried in 1882. Several graves . . . — — Map (db m115563) HM
Several German Lutheran families from Mills County migrated to Concho County shortly after the turn of the 20th century. These pioneers maintained close ties with their former congregations. The Rev. Franz Walther of Mills County conducted irregular . . . — — Map (db m115565) HM
As settlers came to the area in the late 1800s, a small farming community developed here along the Concho River. In 1905 a post office opened in the home of W.D. Cape. In 1906 J.W. Barr (d. 1964) opened a general store at this site. As the business . . . — — Map (db m116225) HM
Created February 1, 1858
Organized March 11, 1879.
Named for the river which the Spaniards called the Concho because of the many shells that they found in it.
Paint Rock, The County Seat — — Map (db m30087) HM
First permanent courthouse for Concho County. Built in 1886, replacing crude early structures. Architects were the brothers F.E. and Oscar Ruffini, who also planned and constructed first main building at the University of Texas. As F.E. Ruffini . . . — — Map (db m115414) HM
On this site during the Civil War and later, grazed by tens of thousands the Longhorns of cattle baron John S. Chisum. Ranch headquarters were 10 miles east. Here in 1863-1865, Chisum not only ranched but also was buyer of cattle to feed Confederate . . . — — Map (db m82187) HM
In gratitude to the thousands of men and women who served our country during the Vietnam War, the people of Texas dedicate this highway which runs across our state from the southernmost tip to the northernmost point. It is our hope that all those . . . — — Map (db m115622) WM