These features were part of a monastery founded by St Tighearnach at the beginning of the 6th century. The 10th or 11th century Round Tower, the monastery's bell-tower, is the oldest surviving building on the site. Close by, in the graveyard, is . . . — — Map (db m72654) HM
This is a 10th century Ulster Scripture Cross. Cap-stone, Head & Shaft are all from different periods. However, the main shaft is dated as above. Originally a termon or boundary cross marking monastic lands limit.
Also used as a teaching aid . . . — — Map (db m73258) HM
One of the earliest examples of a round Tower. Probably built in the 10th century. The base shows evidence of attempts to destroy by burning.
The Tower lost its conical cap between 1591 and 1741. Four top windows face the cardinal points. Old . . . — — Map (db m73266) HM
Twelfth century representation of an early Christian Church. Carved from a single block of sandstone. Originally made to contain a relic possibly of Saint Tiernach. Carving on surface severely weathered.
Position of Sarcophagus probably in . . . — — Map (db m73272) HM