Explorers, trappers and traders were here before Brigham Young sent a group, in 1861, to prepare the way for Mormon colonization. But in October 1861 the U.S. Government set apart Uintah Valley for Indian Reservation. In 1905 a portion was opened . . . — — Map (db m44051) HM
In commemoration of the Catholic Priest, Father Escalante, who in 1776 came into Utah. He crossed the Green River at Jensen and camped two days at that place. His diary shows that he camped at the junction of the Strawberry and Duchesne rivers . . . — — Map (db m72764) HM
According to one tradition, the Duchesne River was named after Mother Rose Philippine Duchesne.
Mother Duchesne and the Catholic Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, had started schools in Missouri. The children of many of the early pioneer . . . — — Map (db m72766) HM
In 1866-7, U. S. Army made road to Price and Bridge across Duchesne River. At this point Henderson’s Indian Trading Post, Caldwell’s Stage Station and a blacksmith shop were erected. 1905, Army surveyed townsite named for H. P. Myton, Supt. . . . — — Map (db m72760) HM