Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Early County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Centerville United Methodist Church Marker, Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 10, 2003
Centerville United Methodist Church Marker, Side 2
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Centerville United Methodist Church
Side 1: Ben Johnson and his wife, "Miss Ellie," attended the DuBose Methodist Church located six miles away until they were caught in a rainstorm that frightened their horse. In an attempt to get a church nearer home, Ben Johnson and Dick Mock . . . — Map (db m14830) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — 049-2 — Confederate Flag Pole
This flag pole from which the Stars and Bars [CS] proudly flew is the last original Confederate flag staff still standing in Georgia. The stalwart pole was hewn from a long leaf pine tree that grew one mile southwest of this city in Early county. . . . — Map (db m23172) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Covered Bridge 2 Mi.<-----<<<
The covered bridge over Coheelee Creek, two miles north on the Old River Road, was ordered built by the Early County Board of Commissioners in 1883. It was erected by J. M. Baughman. Commissioners were J. S. Moseley, W. C. Sheffield, H. C. Fryer, . . . — Map (db m48327) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — 049-4 — Early County
Early County, an original county, was created by Act of Dec. 15, 1818, from Creek Cession of Aug. 9, 1814. At first it contained Decatur, Seminole, Baker, Mitchell, Calhoun, Miller, Dougherty and parts of Clay, Grady, and Thomas Counties. It was . . . — Map (db m39418) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Hilton School
Formal education began in 1897 on land from J.C. Hudspeth and Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman. A petition in 1924 halted a new school at Waters Ford. In 1925 a spacious masonary school opened one mile west of this marker for students from Freeman, Hilton, . . . — Map (db m56427) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Hilton United Methodist Church
The Hilton Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized in 1850. The first church was erected one mile southwest of Hilton on the Lower River Road. This structure was sold after the Civil War and services were then conducted in an arbor. E. . . . — Map (db m47839) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — 049-10 — Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area
You are at the edge of one of the largest and most important mound groups in the southeastern United States. Most of this complex of mounds was constructed about A. D. 200-600. Archaeologists call this period the Middle Woodland Period and the . . . — Map (db m48243) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — 049-1 — Kolomoki Mounds State Park 4 mi.Memorializing Prehistoric Georgia Civilization — More Than 700 Years Old
A large Indian mound complex built about A.D. 200-600 is the centerpiece of Kolomoki Mounds State Park. The largest mound is 325 feet long, 200 feet wide and 57 feet high. This ceremonial area was at the eastern end of a large cleared ceremonial . . . — Map (db m88399) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Old Factory Creek
In 1855, Anthony Hutchins and a group of local citizens built a two-story cotton mill of handmade bricks, fired in Early County, on the north side of Harrod's Creek. The mill, known as the Early County Manufacturing Company, was constructed to spin . . . — Map (db m46126) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Sowhatchee Elementary School
The school was established prior to 1879 and consolidated with Hilton School in 1925. It served as a Free Will Baptist Bible School for young ministers from 1930-1942. Reverend T. B. Mellette was the instructor and Reverend K. V. Shutes was . . . — Map (db m47219) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — 049-6 — Three Notch Trail
One of the important pioneer ways, this road, called “Three Notch Trail” from early days, is believed to have been marked by scouts sent out by General Andrew Jackson to mark the route followed by Jackson’s men to Fort Scott on their way . . . — Map (db m48349) HM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — 049-5 — Three Notch Trail
This road, called “Three Notch Trail” from early days, is believed to have been marked with three notches by scouts sent out by General Andrew Jackson’s troops on their march to Fort Scott. Most of his troops passed this way en route to . . . — Map (db m48350) HM
Georgia (Early County), Hilton — 49-1 — Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
The construction of this 121-foot bridge at McDonald’s Ford was first authorized by the county in 1883, though construction was delayed until 1891. It was completed in four months by J.W. Baughman and thirty-six workers as a modification of the . . . — Map (db m14850) HM
Georgia (Early County), Hilton — Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge / Fannie Askew Williams Park
Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge According to the May 2, 1883 minutes of the Early County Board of Commissioners, a commission was appointed "to inquire into the practicability of construction a bridge across Coheelee Creek at McDonald Ford." . . . — Map (db m8503) HM
Georgia (Early County), Jakin — 049-9 — Confederate Navy Yard, Saffold
At Saffold, “accessible by steamboats from all points on the river”, David S. Johnston operated the Southern Confederate States Navy Yard. Here the gunboat Chattahoochee was built under contract signed October 19, 1861. Lt. . . . — Map (db m55460) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.