The Town of Hodges held a war bond auction in the month of January 1943. The proceeds amounted to about $47,000. As an award, the war department allowed Hodges to name a P-51 Mustang Fighter aircraft. She was named "The Spirit of Hodges." The plane . . . — — Map (db m83741) HM
First known as New Boston when a post office was established here in 1832, by 1834 the community was known as Newburg. The Newburg Masonic Lodge #388 was organized in 1872. Since its completion in 1878, the Lodge hall has been a center for community . . . — — Map (db m80561) HM
T. A. Wilson built the theater in 1927. Since Red Bay had no electricity at that time, he used a Delco System. Shortly after, electricity became available and he had to switch from Delco to Alabama Power. When he first started in the business, he . . . — — Map (db m83742) HM
Side A Red Bay is nestled in the northwest corner of the state in Franklin County. The oak trees, planted by the Garden Club in 1937, issue a Main Street welcome through the “tunnel of trees.” Originally inhabited by Chickasaw . . . — — Map (db m41133) HM
The Depot, a treasured landmark in the history and growth of Red Bay, was built by Illinois Central Railroad in 1907. The trains provided a lifeline for towns like Red Bay. They brought necessities like sugar, flour, cheese, canned . . . — — Map (db m83746) HM
In Red Bay's early years, ice was shipped by freight train to Red Bay. The ice was buried in sawdust to keep it from melting until all had been sold. On the day the ice arrived, the freight car was put on a sidetrack, emptied, and later picked up by . . . — — Map (db m83747) HM
The first school building was built around 1900 by local citizens. The building was located just across from the Methodist Church. The building was a one-room structure & there were 2 teachers who taught at the school. All pupils walked to school & . . . — — Map (db m83748) HM
You are standing near the site of “The Calaboose”, Red Bay's only jail until 1949 when the city hall was built.
The Calaboose was a small brick building, approximately 10 feet by 20 feet, built over a small ditch. At that time, . . . — — Map (db m68983) HM
Yarber Grist Mill opened for business in February 1933, in a tin building on Main Street in downtown Red Bay. Preston Yarber, owner and operator, had moved to Red Bay from Belmont early in January that same year. The mill was located across the . . . — — Map (db m83749) HM
The Roxy Theatre was built in 1949. It has served as the center of entertainment and a landmark for Russellville and Franklin County for many years. It is the only one of its kind in Alabama. As movie theatres around the country fell victim to . . . — — Map (db m41131) HM
Incorporated on November 27, 1819, three weeks before Alabama achieved statehood, Russellville was platted around the intersection of two historic roads.
Edmund Pendleton Gaines began work on the road that would bear his name on December 26, . . . — — Map (db m83750) HM
Vina was first known as Jones Crossroads, and later it was called New Burleson before the railroad came through the area. In the early 1900s, the Illinois Central Railroad was built through Jones Crossroads and the town’s name was changed to Vina . . . — — Map (db m83751) HM