“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Magoffin County Kentucky Historical Markers

Reuben Patrick Grave Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 19, 2019
Reuben Patrick Grave Marker
Kentucky (Magoffin County), Bradley — 902 — Reuben Patrick Grave
Detachment leader, 14th Vol. Inf. USA force engaged largely in this area. CSA camped near Ivyton in March, 1863. On night of 20th, as posted guard slept, Patrick boldly detached gun from carriage, hid it in woods. Their only artillery, a Williams . . . — Map (db m145952) HM
Kentucky (Magoffin County), Salyersville — 786 — County Named, 1860
For Beriah Magoffin, born 1815, Harrodsburg. Centre College, 1835; Transylvania Law School in 1838. State Senate, 1850-52. Governor of Ky., 1859. Disagreement with the legislature over enforcement of Ky. armed neutrality act caused resignation 1862, . . . — Map (db m121351) HM
Kentucky (Magoffin County), Salyersville — 202 — First Settlement
Settled about 1800 by Archibald Prather (Prater), John Williams, Ebenezer Hanna, Clayton Cook, and other emigrants originally from South Carolina. Some of them attempted to settle here in 1794 but were driven back by Indians. They founded . . . — Map (db m145920) HM
Kentucky (Magoffin County), Salyersville — 901 — Ivy Point Skirmishes
During Civil War the Union Army's 14th Ky. Inf. operated in this area to scout and protect east Ky. On Oct. 30, 1863, 160 of these troops under Lieut. Col. Orlando Brown, Jr. repulsed Confederates here and captured 50 prisoners. Another skirmish . . . — Map (db m136734) HM
Kentucky (Magoffin County), Salyersville — Legends in Blue and Gray — Salyersville Civil War Memorial —
Now that the battle rage is over.         Now that the minute guns are cold. Oh haste, knit again.         What the sword has cleft in twain. Be friends and brothers, as of old.                                 —Post Civil . . . — Map (db m145799) WM
Kentucky (Magoffin County), Salyersville — 1660 — Wm. "Uncle Billie" Adams
Town founder "Uncle Billie" Adams owned extensive farm land, a hotel, gristmill, tannery and blacksmith shop. The village which grew up around his home and businesses was called Adamsville until 1860. It was then renamed Salyersville for legislator . . . — Map (db m121354) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020