In 1858 Bellevue set aside four city blocks as a cemetery. However, it was thought to have been used earlier as unofficial burial plots. One of the earliest markers is of Jean Allen dated 1856 and located 70 feet northwest of marker. Jean Allen and . . . — — Map (db m80852) HM
This log cabin was built about 1835 in the Missouri River floodplains. Soon after 1835 cholera occurred at lower elevations, and the cabin was moved to the upper plateau. In about 1850 it was moved to this location, where it was used as a residence . . . — — Map (db m80854) HM
This building of handmade bricks was constructed in 1856 to serve as the Fontenelle Bank. During the financial Panic of 1857 the Fontenelle Bank failed as did most of the other poorly backed wildcat banks in the Nebraska Territory.
In 1861 by . . . — — Map (db m80853) HM
In November 1833 Moses and Eliza Merrill, missionaries sponsored by the Baptist Missionary Union, arrived at the government Indian agency at Bellevue and opened a mission school for the Oto and Missouri Indians living in eastern Nebraska. The . . . — — Map (db m78023) HM
The village of Melia grew up around a Burlington Railroad station established just north of here in 1902. The station, which served as a cattle shipping point, was named for John J. Melia, on whose land it was located. In 1903, John J. Melia opened . . . — — Map (db m39707) HM