Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sterling County Texas Historical Markers

 
Camp Elizabeth Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Larry D. Moore, October 19, 2018
Camp Elizabeth Marker Area
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 661 — Camp ElizabethSite of
Thought to have been established 1853 Used as an outpost hospital of Fort Concho 1874 - 1886 — Map (db m125226) HM
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 1019 — Concho, San Saba & Llano Valley Railroad Station
Attracted by the area's livestock production, nearby shipping points, and the financial support of the town, the Concho, San Saba and Llano Valley Railroad began building a line to Sterling City in 1909. A boxcar served as the depot until this . . . — Map (db m117797) HM
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 3447 — Montvale
The community of Montvale was established in 1884 when the pioneer settlement of St. Elmo was relocated here. Then a part of Tom Green County, Montvale was located on the Shafter Military Trail, an early road from Fort Concho. A community . . . — Map (db m115885) HM
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 5100 — State Hotel – First State Bank
Directors of the First State Bank of Sterling City, the town's earliest financial institution, had this two-story brick commercial building constructed in 1910. It originally housed the State Hotel and the banking operation, which was acquired . . . — Map (db m115877) HM
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 5113 — Sterling County
This prairie region split by the north Concho River is old Comanche, Kickapoo, Kiowa, Lipan, and Wichita hunting ground. Possibly it was crossed by six or so Spanish explorations between 1540 and 1654. In the 1860s and 70s, Anglo-Americans . . . — Map (db m115870) HM
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 5114 — Sterling County Jail
This two-story jail building was constructed in 1912, twenty-one years after the organization of Sterling County. Built by the Southern Structural Steel Co., it is located on property deeded to the county by Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Stewart. Stone for . . . — Map (db m115875) HM
Texas (Sterling County), Sterling City — 5525 — Town of CumminsSite of — (100 yds. SW)
The pioneer settlement of Cummins developed at this site about 1890 around the saddle and harness shop of the earliest permanent settler, Mississippi native Robert Benjamin Cummins (b. 1848). A post office opened here in 1890 with J. H. Kellis as . . . — Map (db m125262) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.