Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Winston County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Carl Jackson Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 5, 2019
Carl Jackson Marker (reverse)
Mississippi (Winston County), Louisville — 16 — Carl Jackson
[Front] Born in Louisville in 1953, Carl Jackson played banjo here as a boy, and by age fourteen was backing Jim & Jesse on the Grand Ole Opry. By the age of twenty he had established a versatile career as a recording vocalist, . . . — Map (db m140735) HM
Mississippi (Winston County), Louisville — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1839 by Scottish-Irish settlers. Built in 1845, the sanctuary is the original church structure. According to local tradition, the church bell, cast in 1851 by the Andrew Meneely and Sons Foundry of West . . . — Map (db m50327) HM
Mississippi (Winston County), Louisville — Hamill Spring
Spring and small holding reservoir, which lie two miles north, were used during droughts as a water source for settlers between the early 1800s and 1930s. Also used to feed boilers for nearby Gus Boyd Sawmill. Spring named for Robert Hamill, an . . . — Map (db m50326) HM
Mississippi (Winston County), Louisville — Legion Lodge
Built between 1934 and 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, Legion Lodge is the oldest structure within a Mississippi State Park. Constructed of stone and hand-hewn timbers, the lodge is a prime example of rustic architecture. Legion Lodge was . . . — Map (db m140793) HM
Mississippi (Winston County), Noxapater — Nanih Waiya
S.E. 10 ½ miles is site of sacred Choctaw mound, the legendary birthplace of the race. Served also as fort and as a center of Choctaw ceremonials. Mississippi Historical Commission • 1949Map (db m130070) HM

5 markers matched your search criteria.  
 
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020