Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, York County Historical Commission Historical Markers

 
Lacey's Fort Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Sean Nix, November 14, 2009
Lacey's Fort Marker
South Carolina (York County), Bullock Creek — 46-31 — Lacey's Fort
[Marker Front] Col. Edward Lacey (1742-1813), prominent officer in the American Revolution in the S.C. backcountry, occupied this hill west of Turkey Creek in the late summer of 1780. Lacey, who commanded S.C. militiamen in the battles . . . — Map (db m24536) HM
South Carolina (York County), Clover — 46-18 — Town of Clover
In 1887 the town of Clover was granted a charter by the General Assembly, its city limits to extend "one-half mile in every direction from the railroad depot." Clover Post Office had been established in 1874 with Zimri Carroll as postmaster. Six . . . — Map (db m28238) HM
South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-21 — Fort Mill
(Front) Fort Mill was established on land received in 1787 by Thomas Spratt, one of the first settlers in this area. According to local tradition, the 4,535-acre tract in Catawba Indian territory was given Spratt by the Catawbas who were . . . — Map (db m24819) HM
South Carolina (York County), Hickory Grove — 46-16 — Hickory Grove
(Front:) The land on which the town of Hickory Grove developed was granted to John McKenney in 1771 by George III of England. The Hickory Grove Post Office was in operation as early as 1831, and a free public school was located here by . . . — Map (db m24527) HM
South Carolina (York County), McConnells — 46-13 — McConnells
After the Kings Mountain Railroad was completed in 1852, the McConnellsville Post Office was established here in 1854. The town, named for the McConnell family, was incorporated in 1906. The first intendant was J.T. Crawford; wardens were J.F. . . . — Map (db m24537) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-15 — Ebenezer
The town of Ebenezer was incorporated in 1893. Dr. W.B. Fewell was the first intendant, and the first wardens were J.W. Avery, A.A. Barron, S.A. Fewell, and J.B. Neely. The post office here from 1890-1911 was called Old Point. Earlier post . . . — Map (db m24817) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-19 — McCorkle-Fewell-Long House / Oakland
McCorkle-Fewell-Long House This two-story frame house with central hall was a typical piedmont farmhouse when built, probably by Stephen McCorkle prior to 1821. Samuel M. Fewell significantly altered the house during his ownership 1867-1890. In . . . — Map (db m24829) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-22 — Site of White's Mill
About 1 ½ miles south of here on Fishing Creek were a house and mill mentioned on a 1766 royal land grant to Hugh White. British Colonel Banastre Tarleton and his Legion were encamped at White's Mill for several days in September 1780, during . . . — Map (db m24871) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-14 — Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill
Village of Rock Hill Main Street was laid out on Alexander Templeton Black's land by Squire John Roddey in 1851. The post office was established in 1852. The village was incorporated by the General Assembly in 1870 with an area of one mile . . . — Map (db m16624) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-24 — William Hill (1741-1816) / Hill's Ironworks
(Front): William Hill, who served in the American Revolution and was present at many battles, built an ironworks near here on Allison Creek about 1776. Hill and his partner, Isaac Hayne, manufactured swivel guns, kitchen utensils, cannon, . . . — Map (db m28244) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-12 — Town of Sharon / Sharon
Town of Sharon John L. Rainey, owner of large tracts of land on which Sharon was established, conveyed land to the Presbyterian church in 1889 and 1898, the Methodists in 1897, and the Methodist Episcopal Zion church in 1904. The First National . . . — Map (db m24531) HM
South Carolina (York County), Smyrna — 46-25 — Town of Smyrna
This town was named for Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, organized ca. 1842. An academy was established here by 1870, and in 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line here. Four years later the post . . . — Map (db m24525) HM
South Carolina (York County), York — 46-11 — Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight
Bratton House Site Robert Clendinen, Yorkville lawyer and South Carolina Senator from York Disrict (1816-30), purchased this land in 1813. The house which he built here before his death in 1830, was acquired in 1847 by Dr. James Rufus Bratton, . . . — Map (db m11244) HM
South Carolina (York County), York — 46-17 — King's Mountain Military Academy Site / Micah Jenkins
King's Mountain Military Academy Site Micah Jenkins and Asbury Coward, graduates of The Citadel in Charleston, founded this Yorkville school in 1855. Closed during the Civil War, it was re-opened in 1866 by Coward, who later became head of . . . — Map (db m11272) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement