Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gaslamp Quarter - San Diego Historical Markers

Markers have been placed on over 90 historic buildings in the Historic Gaslamp District of Downtown San Diego.
 
Casa de Thomas Addition, 1930 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Maja Tajima, February 16, 2012
Casa de Thomas Addition, 1930 Marker
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Casa de Thomas Addition, 1930
While it appears to be part of the Quin Building, this structure is actually a separate addition built by Thomas Quin. Between 1930 and 1944, it was leased to several proprietors, and operated as an automobile service garage known as the Empire . . . — Map (db m52685) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 88 — Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Assoc., 1911
The original tenants of the two-story, Oriental-theme structure were the Gee Goon Tong, famous for their help in plotting the 1912 revolution which formed the Republic of China. The Benevolent Society was founded in 1920 as an outgrowth of the Tong, . . . — Map (db m52949) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 2 — Chinese Laundry, 1923
The south half of this building was the Hop Lee Chong Laundry, a Chinese laundry in continuous use from the building's construction in 1923 until 1964. The north half was the home of several Oriental businesses such as the "American Company", . . . — Map (db m52651) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 86 — Chinese Mission Building, 1927
This California Mission Revival-style building was designed by Louis Gill, nephew and protege of Irving Gill. The facade of the one-story chapel features a sloping red-tile roof over a central bell tower. The Chinese Mission, located in the building . . . — Map (db m52947) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 8 — Cotheret Building, 1903
Throughout the Gaslamp, this is the only building with an original second story balcony. The upstairs has operated as rented rooms under the names of the Cotheret, Ardmore, and Gaslamp Hotel. The Canary Cottage, run by San Diego's most notorious . . . — Map (db m52688) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 10 — Frey Block, 1911
The Frey Block Building contains a rich ethnic history. In its first few years, the Frey brothers from France operated a second hand store here. The site later housed several Oriental restaurants. Near one entrance, one can find a tile advertisement . . . — Map (db m52690) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 75 — George Hill Building, 1897
This three-story structure was built to replace the landmark Hortonís Hall, which was partially destroyed by fire. The building was designed for five storerooms on the first floor, and thirty offices on the upper floors. The San Diego Normal School, . . . — Map (db m51597) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 93 — Horton Grand - Kahle Saddlery – 1886 ó Historic Building
San Diegoís oldest Victorian hotel, the Grand Hotel was renamed the Hotel Horton in 1907, and is now the Horton Grand. In 1981, the Horton and the Kahle Saddlery, both located at different sites and slated for demolition, were disassembled, moved . . . — Map (db m51358) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 77 — I.O.O.F. Building, 1882
A joint effort of the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges, this Classical Revival-style building required nearly a decade to complete due to a lack of money and materials. A parade kicked off the long awaited laying of the cornerstone, into which was . . . — Map (db m51620) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 31 — Keating Building, 1890
This Romanesque-style structure was financed by George Keating, but he passed away before its completion. His wife Fannie directed the completion, which is evidenced in the more feminine and decorative appearance of the upper floors. In 1893, San . . . — Map (db m51740) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 5 — Lester Hotel, 1906
The first floor of this building has a colorful tenant history. The Goodwill Bar operated from 1906 to 1945. In 1945, Mike McIntosh and Sam Dini purchased the business. They were responsible for the "McDini" corned beef sandwhich of local fame. In . . . — Map (db m52682) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 35 — Marston Block, 1881
In 1881, George Marston located his third department store in this two-story Victorian Italian-style building. It remained here until 1896 when it was relocated to a larger building. Until the 1970s, Marstonís was the largest and most successful San . . . — Map (db m77092) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 30 — Mercantile Building, 1894
The Mercantile Building is an extension of the Ingersoll-Tutton building to the north. This is evident in its matching architectural beauty. This structure housed several retail and service-oriented businesses, including A.M. Ingersollís ice cream . . . — Map (db m51952) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 4 — Pacifica Hotel, 1910
This building has been the home to several hotels beginning with the Midland in 1914. Later it was known as the New York, Seery, and finally Pacifica. In the 1930ís, it catered to San Diegoís military personnel. From 1917 to 1928, part of the . . . — Map (db m52426) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 6 — Quin Building, 1930
In 1930, this Spanish Colonial Revival style structure was built in the heart of Chinatown for Thomas A. Quin. The top portion had two apartments, and the bottom floor was a combination storefront and storage space. Seven years after its . . . — Map (db m52687) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 87 — Quong Building, 1913
The Quong Building is not only an historical structure, it has also been the site of archeological digs. The building gets its name from Mow Yuen Quong, a business man who operated the structure from 1889 to 1928. The building has been listed in . . . — Map (db m52948) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 74 — Sheldon Block
This solid brick building was once four-stories high with a basement. The first floor was for retail, while the upper floors were for offices and lodging. Unfortunately, the upper floors had to be removed, because the structure was weakened when the . . . — Map (db m51731) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 73 — St. James Hotel, 1912
Now dwarfed by the cityís modern skyscrapers, the ten-story St. James was once the tallest building in San Diego. In 1914, the San Diego Union extolled it as “first class in every respect, with excellent service.” The hotel featured 146 . . . — Map (db m51793) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 55 — Timkin Building, 1894 ó Historic Building
Henry Timkin invented the roller bearing for the horse-drawn carriage, and was one of San Diegoís leading real estate investors. In 1894 he built this building at the cost of $7,200. It is most notable for the top brick overhang and the large . . . — Map (db m51547) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1 — William Heath Davis House, 1850
The Davis house is the oldest surviving structure from San Diego's New Town. It is an example of a prefabricated, "salt-box" style home. Built on the East Coast, shipped around Cape Horn, and assembled in San Diego, The Davis House originally stood . . . — Map (db m51791) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement