Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Alpharetta, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Alpharetta Business District Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, June 6, 2012
Alpharetta Business District Marker
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 14 — Alpharetta Business District
Alpharetta was formed in 1858 and soon after, a thriving business district was developed. Many of the businesses had two entrances, with one facing the Milton County Courthouse on Norcross Street, now South Main Street, and the other facing National . . . — Map (db m57391) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 15 — Alpharetta Business District
South of Jones Alley buildings have housed many businesses including A.G. Carroll store, Shirley Brothers Mercantile c. 1910, Jones Merchandise c. 1914, Teasley Ford Motor dealership, Milton County Bank c. 1910, Q.A. Wills Merchandise, Louie E. . . . — Map (db m57392) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 16 — Alpharetta Business District
One South Main Street housed a general merchandise store operated by J.A. Oliver until 1920. Later it became Jones Grocery, Lively Grocery and Talmage Burgess Grocery. In the mid 1950s, Phillips Variety Store opened. Three South Main Street has . . . — Map (db m57394) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 3 — Alpharetta First United Methodist Church — circa 1834
The Methodist Church was part of the Forsyth Circuit of the Cherokee District. Methodist camp meetings were held near this spot in the early 1830s, and there was a meeting house as early as 1834. On April 1, 1871, Isham Teasley, one of the original . . . — Map (db m56732) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — Alpharetta Hotel Site
The property was the original location of the Alpharetta Hotel built by Bob Webb in 1908. The hotel was torn down in the 1970’s. It once housed a Boarding House for single school teachers which was operated by Lillian Teasley. It was the home . . . — Map (db m60550) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — B. F. Shirley Home — circa 1910
This Queen Anne home was built by Mr. Benjamin Franklin Shirley using a Sears Roebuck house pattern. Features include a nine-room interior, a veranda, and exterior stairs leading to the second floor. Renovations have been made, but the original . . . — Map (db m56866) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 11 — Dodd Hotel — circa 1870
Dodd Hotel was owned by James Madison Dodd, a businessman and Milton County Constable. He was born in 1828 and died in 1895. Dodd operated a livery stable and barn on the north side of Dodd Hotel Street, now Milton Avenue. The hotel boarded cotton . . . — Map (db m56138) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — First Baptist Church of Alpharetta — circa 1905
In 1903, a group of women who met weekly for prayer and Bible study began collecting offerings. From those collections, the women purchased a sixty by one hundred foot lot and began construction of the First Baptist Church. The project was completed . . . — Map (db m56841) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 10 — Future Farmers of America Log Cabin — 1935
Over one hundred members of Milton High School's Future Farmers of America built this rustic cabin. Teacher P.L. Elkins provided seed money and oversight for the project. The purpose of the project was to give the young men an opportunity to learn . . . — Map (db m58910) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — Future Farmers of America Log Cabin — 1935
Over one hundred members of Milton High School's Future Farmers of America built this rustic cabin. Teacher P. L. Elkins provided seed money and oversight for the project. The purpose of the project was to give the young men an opportunity to learn . . . — Map (db m58911) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 2 — J.J. Webb and Sons Building — 1910
J.J. Webb’s two-story brick building housed many businesses including Shirley Brothers store, Milton County Bank, Buren Weatherford Grocery and Bates Grocery. In 1934, C.P. Brady and Sons purchased the building, where they operated a Chevrolet . . . — Map (db m56402) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 5 — Lewis-Manning House — 1895
Colonel Tom Lewis, an Atlanta Attorney, built the five-bedroom Queen Anne-style house from bricks made in the pasture behind the house. There are rock foundations under each room. The inside walls are 12 inches thick, there are fireplaces in every . . . — Map (db m56108) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 7 — Manning Mercantile — circa 1910
James H. and Thomas H. Manning operated Manning Mercantile store in a wooden building that burned in 1902. It was replaced by a one-story brick building, which later housed the U.S. Post Office, Bates Grocery, Cowart Shoe Shop, Cook Shoe Shop, and . . . — Map (db m56405) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 17 — Mansell House — 1910
The Mansell House was built by Robert Mansell of South Carolina for his wife, Maude Dorris. It is a Queen Anne-style clapboard farm house built from pine trees located on the site. It has heart pine floors, 12-foot ceilings, and a fireplace in each . . . — Map (db m56231) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 6 — New Prospect Campground — circa 1835
The campground was located to the immediate west of the intersection of North Main and Cumming Streets. The location included several springs and its proximity to westward routes made the area a suitable overnight camp location for travelers. With . . . — Map (db m56239) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 4 — Norman House — 1910
The house is a Queen Anne-style cottage and was built of brick and wood for $1,500. A six-room home with heart pine flooring, plate glass windows, a fireplace in every room and a large porch. The house survives as originally built and includes . . . — Map (db m56104) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 060-25A — Old Milton County
This was the Courthouse of Milton County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 18, 1857, it was named for Homer V. Milton, General in the War of 1812, though some claim . . . — Map (db m21434) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 12 — Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses — circa 1910
Originally the three buildings faced the National Highway, now Old Roswell Road, which was the main road from Roswell to Dahlonega. A brick facade was added in the 1970s. In 1909, John A. Oliver constructed the two-story Oliver warehouse. The first . . . — Map (db m56164) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 8 — R.J. Webb Building — 1907
R.J. Webb built the two-story brick Webb Hotel, later known as the Alpharetta Hotel. The hotel lobby fronted Milton Avenue. Hotel residents included Milton County court attendees and school teachers. Businesses that faced Main Street included Norman . . . — Map (db m56420) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 13 — Skelton-Teasley House — 1856
The brick home was built for the family of Dr. Oliver P. Skelton, physician, postmaster and Ordinary of Milton County. His son-in-law John I. Teasley, a cotton planter, subsequently occupied it. This Greek Revival style house has four rooms, a . . . — Map (db m56134) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — Spence House
Farmers Bascom and Oma Spence purchased this 19th century farmhouse in 1918. Their families had lived in North Fulton and Forsyth Counties since the 1840s. The house sits on tree trunks cut on the property. Two wings were later added and the most . . . — Map (db m109126) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 9 — Webb Guano House — circa 1901
James Madison Dodd sold the property, which had been used for a livery stable, to R.J. & J.J. Webb. The Webbs built the first section of the building, called he Webb Guano House. The original structure was of concrete blocks, heavy beams and thick . . . — Map (db m56116) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement