Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arlington, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
ARLINGTON CEMETERY Marker image, Touch for more information
By Judy King, September 4, 2014
ARLINGTON CEMETERY Marker
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Arlington Cemetery
The Arlington Cemetery Company, formed in 1909, bought 4.7 acres of land on this site. Owners were: R.D. Cole, S.Y. Wilson, H.S. Griffin, W.A. Taylor, F.S. Bragg, and A.H. Murray. In time, this company ceased to function. the Arlington Cemetery . . . — Map (db m76903) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Arlington Historic Post Office
The Town's first post office building was located in the row of businesses facing the railroad tracks in the area of town currently known as Depot Square. The first Postmaster, Danial Kerman,was appointed in 1866.

Even though the Town was called . . . — Map (db m85897) HM

Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Blacksmith Shop
The blacksmith shop played an integral role in the community in it's early days. He made and repaired farming tools and equipment, wagons and their parts, horseshoes, and household items. The community's first blacksmith was Perkins White, who . . . — Map (db m85676) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Grey's Creek Baptist Church
This church is Shelby County's oldest African American congregation. It was founded by two free men of color, preachers Simon Price and Joseph "Free Joe" Harris, and numerous slaves, right after its former occupant, a white congregation, vacated the . . . — Map (db m74845) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Harrell Farm Log Cabin
The Harrell Farm Log Cabin is estimated to date back to the mid-1800's and served as the cook's residence at the Harrell Farm. The Harrell farm was located along Harrell Road, in both Shelby and Fayette Counties, and the log cabin was located near . . . — Map (db m85812) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Hughes-College Hill Park
In January of 1884, the Memphis District High School opened its doors on this site. Built by the Memphis Conference of Methodist Church, the school was acquired by the Shelby County Schools in 1895. In 1912, a new school replaced the original during . . . — Map (db m76902) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Memphis's Civil War Sites Civilians Lined the Bluffs
In April 1862, Union victories at Shiloh and on the Mississippi River made Confederate control of the river in Tennessee more difficult. Southern soldiers evacuated posts that they could not defend easily, such as Memphis. Capt. James E. . . . — Map (db m88230) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — 4E 9 — Old Stagecoach Inn
Just to the north is the site of an old inn used by stagecoach and other travelers between Memphis and eastern settlements from 1829 until stagecoach travel ceased. It was dismantled in 1926. — Map (db m74842) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — 4E 51 — Pleasant Hill Cemetery
This cemetery, founded in 1853, grew up around the Brunswick Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which has since moved. During the Confederate War, the church building was used as a hospital, and 17 unknown Confederate soldiers who died there are buried . . . — Map (db m88314) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum
Early pioneers settled in the Arlington area around 1830. A depot, called Withe Station, was established in 1856. The land was given by General Samuel Jackson Hays. In 1872 his land holdings were sold at public auction and the community became . . . — Map (db m76898) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement