Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Berea, Ohio Historical Markers

 
Adams Street Cemetery Marker, side two image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, April 6, 2019
Adams Street Cemetery Marker, side two
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 93-18 — Adams Street Cemetery
Known as the “village Cemetery,” this was Berea’s main burial ground from 1834 to the 1880s. However, in 1886, the Cleveland Stone Co. purchased quarries adjacent to the cemetery, where Coe Lake is today. Quarrying had already . . . — Map (db m134166) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 61-18 — Baldwin University
In 1845, Baldwin Institute, one of the first schools in the area open to all students regardless of gender, race, or creed, was chartered. The wealth generated by the sandstone and grindstone industries of Berea allowed John Baldwin to found the . . . — Map (db m3536) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 18-18 — Berea District Seven School
A find example of the district school building common to Ohio int he early years of the twentieth century. This two-room, red-brick schoolhouse was completed in 1913. Accommodating elementary school children in east Berea and adjacent areas of . . . — Map (db m3532) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 16-18 — Berea Sandstone Quarries
For more than ninety years, this area was the heart and soul of Berea's sandstone quarries. In the early 1830s, John Baldwin discovered that the area's sandstone deposits made superb grindstones and building stones. in the 1840s, thriving sandstone . . . — Map (db m5516) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 43-18 — Berea Union Depot
Ohio from the time of its construction in 1876 until its closing in 1958, is an unusual, but well-designed example of Victorian Gothic Architecture. With the development of an expanding stone quarry industry in the area, Berea and its railroad . . . — Map (db m997) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 18-82 — First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea
Seven original members, who were staunch abolitionists, organized the First Congregational Church of Berea in the nearby Union School House on June 9, 1855. These members publicly articulated opposition to slavery and their desire for a church with . . . — Map (db m3539) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 23-18 — Lyceum Square
On this site the Lyceum Village and the Berea Seminary were established in 1837 by John Baldwin, Jame Giruth, Henry O. Sheldon, and Josiah Holbrook. Their vision was to create the first in a connected series of Lyceum Villages. The Villages were . . . — Map (db m3538) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 122-18 — Ogilvy Chapel of St. Thomas Episcopal Church
This “little gem of a stone church,” built and dedicated in 1893, is constructed of locally quarried, rusticated Berea sandstone blocks. A Celtic cross at the top of the west wall represented the areas of Great Britain from which . . . — Map (db m134169) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 16-18 — The “Big Quarry”
The photograph looks north to the buildings on East Bridge Street, which constituted the northern boundary of Berea’s sandstone quarries around 1895. The photographer stood approximately where you are standing. “Gradually the water came, . . . — Map (db m3548) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 42-18 — The Ark
The ARK in Berea is the first structure in Cuyahoga County to incorporate sustainable building concepts from the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992. Hand built in 1994 as a work of art by environmental artists David and Renate Jakupca, it is a . . . — Map (db m23221) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 20-18 — The Berea Triangle
The Triangle, one of the most historic places in Berea, has been the center of the city’s civic life since the mid-19th century. Just beneath lie the solid layers of the famous Berea Sandstone that brought prosperity to Berea durign its early years. . . . — Map (db m53428) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement