Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Boydton, Virginia Historical Markers

 
US Rt 58 (facing east) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
US Rt 58 (facing east)
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — U-80 — A Revolutionary Soldier
Richard Kennon of Mecklenburg served as an officer in the 5th Virginia Regiment, 1776-1778 and later in the State Militia. He served in both houses of the General Assembly and was Presiding Officer of the Senate, 1800-1802. He died in 1805. — Map (db m30909) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — Boyd TavernConfederates Mustered
Alexander Boyd, Sr., a businessman and founder of Boydton, erected the core of this tavern about 1785. The hostelry thrived, and its presence was a major reason for the selection of Boydton as the Mecklenburg County seat. By the mid-19th century, . . . — Map (db m30900) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — BoydtonCounty Seat of Mecklenburg
Mecklenburg County was established March 1, 1765, and named for George III’s consort, Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The first court met on March 11, 1765, at the home of Mr. Richard Swepson in the new county seat, Mecklenburg . . . — Map (db m30902) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — 37 — Boydton Academic and Bible InstituteBoydton, Virginia — Mecklenburg County
Boydton Academic and Bible Institute was opened in 1879 in building that had been abandoned by Randolph-Macon College when it moved to Ashland in 1868. Dr. Charles Cullis, a humanitarian from Boston, purchased the property in 1878 and opened the . . . — Map (db m30917) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — UL-6 — Boydton and Petersburg Plank Road
The Boydton and Petersburg Plank Road was built between 1851 and 1853 and was funded by stock bought by the state as well as the public. The all-weather toll road increased the transportation of crops to market and also carried stagecoach traffic . . . — Map (db m30912) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — Boydton and Petersburg Plank RoadA “Timbered Turnpike”
The Boydton and Petersburg Plank Road, built between 1851 and 1853, was the first all-weather route connecting Southside Virginia’s tobacco and wheat farms with the market. Pine and oak planks, 8 feet long, 1 foot wide, and 3-4 inches thick were . . . — Map (db m31857) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — Boydton Presbyterian Church
The Presbyterian Meeting House was built around 1820 on land owned by Alexander Boyd the Younger of Boydton, Virginia. In 1824 the church property was deeded to the church elders for the sum of one dollar. In times of need, the . . . — Map (db m31859) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — UL-8 — James Solomon Russell(1857–1935)
James Solomon Russell was born enslaved on 20 Dec. 1857 on the nearby Hendrick Plantation. After emancipation, he attended Hampton Institute and St. Stephen’s Normal and Theological School and was ordained in 1882. As a religious missionary, . . . — Map (db m107457) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — Mecklenburg County Confederate Monument
To the Confederate Soldiers of Mecklenburg From Bethel to Appomattox 1861-1865 — Map (db m30906) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — Z-218 — Mecklenburg County Virginia / North CarolinaArea 669 Square Miles /                    
Mecklenburg County Virginia. Area 669 Square Miles. Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, queen of George III. Bacon, the rebel, defeated the Indians near the present town of Clarksville, . . . — Map (db m107451) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — UL-4 — Old Randolph-Macon College
This is the original campus of Randolph-Macon College, the oldest Methodist-affiliated college still operating in the United States. Chartered by the Virginia General Assembly in 1830 and named for Congressmen John Randolph of Roanoke, Charlotte . . . — Map (db m30910) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — UL-5 — Taylor's Ferry
Seven miles south. There a detachment of Virginia militia crossed the Roanoke River in February, 1781, on the way to join Greene in North Carolina. There Baron Steuben, commanding the forces in Virginia, had a depot of supplies. — Map (db m30911) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Boydton — UL-51 — The Boyd Tavern
The presence of Boyd tavern, built in the eighteenth-century, greatly influenced the selection of Boydton as the Mecklenburg County seat. A major mid-nineteenth century renovation expanded the original tavern into a 35-room structure that included . . . — Map (db m31872) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement